Saturday, 21 March 2009

Good Enough To Eat

Having bought some sprinkles and colours I attempted my first cupcake batch last weekend. All were eaten so must not of been that bad eh. Looked pretty too, especially considering I could not find the cupcake tin and some came out a little distorted!

When I have made butter icing in the past I have not been so impressed but I thought this looked pretty good it has a glazed/shiny look. I have never put milk in before so not sure if this is why. I decorated each one differently so it was a good way to practice and experiment. No piping yet, one step at a time!

Cupcake recipe

Ingredients:
  • 175g self raising flour
  • 1 1/2 level tsp of baking powder
  • 175g of margarine (Stork is the best)
  • 175g of caster sugar
  • 3 medium free range eggs
  • 2 tbsp of milk
To Decorate

  • 150g of margarine (Stork) or butter
  • 300g of icing sugar
  • 2tbsp of milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • colouring (optional)
  • your choice of decorations/sprinkles
All the recipes I have looked at recently say throw all ingredients in and mix, but I must say I am still doing it the way my Mum and home economics teacher told me..........
Cream the sugar and margarine together first then gradually add in the beaten eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and baking powder together and mix well. Simple as eh! Having prepared a cupcake/muffin tin with twelve paper cases divide the mixture out using a teaspoon and place in oven at 180 c /gas 4 and bake for twenty minutes or till golden and spongy to touch. Cool on a rack while you prepare butter icing. Cream together sieved icing and butter/margarine with vanilla and milk. Mix till smooth and add colours if desired. Finish with sprinkles. Show off a bit to anyone who will listen then eat with a nice cup of tea.


Not too bad for a first attempt I think! Yum

Okay here is the full selection including the more deformed ones :)





No comments:

Post a Comment