Sunday, 29 March 2009

Lemon Heaven


Yesterday I made some very very nice and very lemony cupcakes. I will definitely make these again. I made a half batch in a bid not to get too fat :) a half batch measurement should of made six but I got eight somehow whoops never mind. I used lemon coloured paper cups to complete the lemon overdose look of these and I decorated them with tiny lemon jelly segments. Delicious!

Here's the recipe......

Lemon Heaven Cupcakes

(Batch of six - eight)

55g of self raising flour
55g of caster sugar
55g of margarine
1/2 tsp of baking power
2 medium eggs
grated zest of one large lemon
1/2 tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice

to decorate....

lemon curd
ricotta cheese
fresh squeezed lemon juice
icing sugar to sweeten.

Cream sugar and margarine together, gradually add beaten eggs, lemon juice and rind. Mix in flour and baking powder. Mix well! Divide into paper cups till around half full and place in preheated oven of 170c/325f/gas 3. Bake for approx twenty minutes or till golden and spongy to touch. Allow to cool on a rack.

While cakes cool you can prepare ricotta and put in fridge. I decided to use ricotta because we had some in the fridge from making savoury cupcakes, I have seen similar using lemon butter cream or creme fraiche but this worked really well. First I sieved icing onto the buns the carefully cut a disc from the top of each cake, in the hole I placed a generous tsp of lemon curd (you make need to mix curd prior if it is the sort that is set). Now I decided this after making first two - if you are going to eat immediately you can add ricotta mix and jelly lemon segments and replace cake disc as a lid or as butterfly wings or add segments and cake dis and add ricotta dollop to top when you serve. The ricotta is simply mixed till smooth and sweetened with icing sugar and lemon juice to taste. A big dollop of ricotta on a prepared cake is like a really indulgent cream cake experience, but fresher and lemony! Make sure you refrigerate ricotta. Enjoy!











2 comments:

  1. Those lemon cupcakes look super! The only item that I'm undecided about is ricotta cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a surprising experiment, really fresh tasting I loved it but you could use creme fraiche instead :)

    ReplyDelete