Sunday, 17 May 2009

Orange & Lemon Flowers



Following a theme at the moment I think, influenced by the spring sunshine! I always look at what ingredients I already have at home when I have different ideas spinning around in my head and I decided on using lemons and clementines in the sponge. I wanted to play about with icing and ideas and after the previous project I was thinking spring and flowers.

First the recipe:


Orange & Lemon Blooms

4 oz/110g of butter/margarine
4oz/110g of caster sugar
4oz/110g of self raising flour
1 level tsp of baking powder
2 large free range eggs
1 dsp of lemon juice
1 dsp of orange/Clementine juice
the zest of 2 unwaxed lemons




To Decorate:

ready roll icing
sprinkles
food colours
icing pens or icing to pipe

Using the basic principals of the cupcake recipes I creamed the margarine and sugar together and beat in both eggs. Add the orange and lemon juice and zest and mix well. finally mix in the sifted flour and baking powder. Give one final good mix! Divide into 12 (aprox) standard size cupcake cases which have been placed in a cupcake tin. Place in a preheated oven temperature of 170c 325 f gas3 and bake for 20 minutes or till golden with a spring back sponge feel to touch. Allow to cool on a cooling tray before decorating.




Decorating is a time to play and experiment and this is exactly what I did and in doing so each cake was different. It would be easier when you have an idea to keep all similar or the same but I do like the idea of each being individual. The roses were pretty easy though you can by them already made, there don't have the homemade look mine do ha ha. Basically I coloured ready roll icing by adding a few drops of coloring and working it in. You then roll the icing into a sausage shape and cut into petal size bits, taking a piece press it flat between cling film or plastic. The first petal is rolled and each petal after is rolled round till you have some thing that resembles a rose! I found you need to chop off excess icing at back of rose before sticking to cake with icing from icing pen. Leaves and petals (pink flower) were cut using a smooth cookie cutter. I used the cookie cutter smooth and wave edge to make bases for cupcake designs and used pens for gluing all icing parts. The yellow flower with the sprinkle middle was made by cutting out a cookie shape then cutting out the centre with the top of a colouring bottle, I then stuck the shape to the cake and filled the middle with icing pen. I then sprinkled the middle, pressing sprinkle in and sweeping out access. Anyway just a few of my ideas :)




No comments:

Post a Comment