Saturday, 23 May 2009

Potato and Raisin Cupcakes!


Yes you read right it does say Potato and Raisin Cupcakes. It sounded like such a weird combination that I had to try it and they surprised me in being really really good! I would say they reminded me of a scone but are light and fluffy like a cake. You do not get an over powering potato at all which is strange, but maybe this is because it is a recipe without margarine or butter? I really do not know, but the results were good and I recommend you give them ago. I think are best served warm and are nice with a wee bit butter of margarine. If you are wanting to be healthy these are good for you with no margarine or butter and are only 2 weighwatchers points which basically means are low in calories and saturated fat.

Now for the recipe & unusual method:






Potato and Raisin Cupcakes

175g/6oz of floury potatoes (boiled and smoothly mashed)
125g/4 1/2 oz self raising flour
2 tbsp of brown sugar
1tsp of baking powder
175g/6oz of raisins
4 medium free range eggs (separated)

Prepare 12 muffin size cup cases in a muffin tin. Preheat oven to 200c/400f. place mashed potato in a bowl and add sifted flour, egg yolks, brown sugar, raisins, baking powder and mix well. In a separate bowl which is dry and grease free whisk the egg whites into peaks. Fold in egg whites to the other mixture, using a metal spoon. Make sure you are gentle folding, yes it does look weird but I promise you this works! Divide the mixture between cup cases and place in oven for ten minutes, after which reduce the temperature to 160c/325f for a further ten until risen and golden brown.

As I mentioned best served warm. Do not be afraid! Try them, sound weird but are lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment