Sunday, 14 June 2009

Say It With An Almond Cupcake






I am looking at different flavoured cupcakes while using the basic recipe. I have tried almond flavour this time, reminiscent of marzipan and battenburg cakes. I simply added Almond to the cake mixture and icing. I also have used a different type of icing which is the sort used for fondants and gives a shiny finish. Concentrating more on flavour I decided to just keep the decoration fun colored and simple with piped messages. Would work well for a kids party I guess. Taste good anyway, guess depends on if you like almond of course.

Almond Cupcake Recipe:

4 0z 110g Margarine
4 oz 110g Caster Sugar
4 oz 110g Self raising flour
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of almond extract





Glace Icing flavoured with a few drops of almond extract
colours
icing pens






Mix margarine and sugar together, add eggs and almond extract and mix well. Add sifted flour and baking powder and give one final good mix. Divide between 12 cupcase which have been placed in a cupcake tin. Bake at 160 c gas 3 till golden and spongy to touch. Allow to cool on a baking rack.

Decorate as desired. I chose to flavour glace icing (Icing sugar mixed with water and a few drops of almond extract) which I added bright red, green and blue to. Piped message on a few for fun. Was tempted to do some rude or cheeky ones but decided to keep it clean and nice :)

Think I will experiment with some more natural flavours.

1 comment: